Sustainable Recycling Industries (SRI)
Sustainable Recycling Industries (SRI Programme)
Workshop organizers: Empa and WRF
Date and Time: Wednesday 23 October 2019, 12:30 – 14:00 CET
Link to the WRF conference themes:
- Green and circular economy
- Recycling and waste management
- Raw materials in the informal economy
Description and objective:
This workshop is related to the Sustainable Recycling Industries (SRI) programme, which is funded by the Swiss State Secretariat of Economic Affairs (SECO). The overall development objective of the programme is that favourable framework conditions enable the development of a sustainable recycling industry for e-waste and related waste streams in SECO partner countries, including Egypt, Ghana, South Africa, Colombia and Peru. The first phase of the SRI programme has been implemented between 2013 and 2018. The programme is currently entering the second implementation phase and will run until 2023. In this workshop stakeholders from all implementation countries, as well as various international experts, will present key results and remaining challenges from the first implementation phase and, based on that, discuss with the workshop participants strategies on how to achieve sustainable results in the second phase.
To maximize and measure the positive impact of the programme, life cycle based metrics for the environmental and socio-economic benefits of implemented changes will be developed and applied for the second implementation phase of the programme. This workshop will discuss limits and opportunities of such metrics to:
- support an informed decision-making process on policy level, improve methods for the implementation and enforcement of normative frameworks, including related assurance and verification systems, as well as analyse optimized recycling value chains and appropriate technology options, and
- measure and monitor changes directly or indirectly induced by activities of the SRI programme (or development cooperation projects in general), such as a quantification of the contribution to actions on climate change mitigation.
- Key results, lessons learned and remaining challenges from the first implementation phase
- Key strategies for the second implementation phase
- Limits and opportunities of sustainability metrics to measure the positive impact of the SRI programme
Please visit this website for further updates.